Home
National Parks

 

VIC East - Wilsons Promontory Marine National Park

Wilsons Promontory Marine National Park extends along 70 kilometres of mainland coastline and covers 15,550 hectares, making it the largest of our Marine National Parks. It is located around the southern tip of the Wilsons Promontory National Park, incorporating the existing Wilsons Promontory Marine Reserve. Most of the terrestrial areas of Wilsons Promontory have been reserved since 1905, and its importance for nature conservation is widely appreciated.

Wilsons Promontory Marine National Park provides spectacular underwater scenery with granite cliffs plunging below the surface. Huge granite boulders and pinnacles rise from the sparkling white or yellow sand, topped by carpets of multi-coloured seaweed. Fish busily move in and around these forests, including the unusually named Bastard Trumpeter, Saddled Wrasse and Old Wife. There are also deep reefs covered in sponges, ascidians, sea whips and abundant fish. The park also includes islands that are home to penguins and seabirds and some that are used as breeding grounds for Australian Fur Seals.

Wilsons Promontory is the northernmost exposed link in a chain of granite mountains that continues across Bass Strait and onto eastern Tasmania. Due the different type of rock found here and its position at the boundary of the influence two major ocean currents, Wilsons Promontory Marine National Park provides for long term conservation of a distinct bioregion of Victoria's coastline.

Location

TWilsons Promontory is located approximately 220 kilometres south-east of Melbourne.

Further Information

Parks Victoria Information Centre
Level 10/535 Bourke Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Ph: 13 1963
info@parkweb.vic.gov.au

parkweb.vic.gov.au/